Saturday, February 27, 2010

Car Mats and the No Heat Experience

Hello,

Leroy is not an open book to me. He removed the car mat before I got my letter sent yesterday. Today the car started just like that. Hopefully this will fix the problem. It would certainly be a cheap fix.

While I was in Utah Leroy experience the furnace braking. He said, “The furnace came on Sunday morning and made a terrible noise. I turned it off and checked a bit, but could see nothing.”

Before the end of the day the repair guy came reporting that the fan was lying in a heap at the bottom. So it had literally fallen apart. The problem was that he had no spare parts for this model furnace, nor did the seller of the furnace. Leroy used the space heater; luckily the electricity still worked, slept under an extra comforter and wrapped up in a wool throw that Brian had purchased in Scotland. Someone in the congregation brought over a kerosene space heater as well. Monday, Leroy’s day off, was mostly spent in a small room in the house. I had thought Leroy might go to church, he said, “I thought about it, but I was ok. I had a lot of snow to shovel with some deep drifts, so I was busy.” Besides that bedroom has a rocking chair, desk complete with computer, and his stamp albums. What more could he want?

A spare part was found in Des Moines and one of the congregation members who worked up there fetched it to Chariton. In the evening an excited Leroy called to say, “I again have heat. Yes! Would you believe that the part was just two months out of warranty?” Now that was timing.

Leroy said, “The temperatures never got below 40 so the pipes did not freeze and your plants look ok. Being in bed was the best place for me. I did not want to get out in the cold in the morning.” Neither Leroy nor I was comfortable with the idea of running the space heaters at night. Visions of fires danced in our heads.

Leroy was lucky it was not the couple days after I came home since the outside temperature plunged to zero and maybe a bit below.

Paula

No comments: