Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Buying Reputation

Hello,

How much does a good reputation cost? Some days only $4.

The sewing machine stopped working. After considering newer cheap models, doing some detective work, and talking to sewers I decided to get my old heavy medal machine fixed if possible. It was possible. The call came that it was just needed cleaning at the cost of $45. Leroy drove over picked it up handed the guy $45 in cash, got a response, “Guess that will be enough,” and then Leroy left.

I looked at the tag and said, “Oh it cost almost $49 to fix it.”

“Really?” Leroy asked, “Well that explains the comment about enough. I was sure that I heard $45.”

Yesterday Leroy and I went out for a walk to that house, plus the library, post office and two stores. I figure $4 was little enough to give us the reputation of taking care of our debts. Otherwise who knows who he might have mentioned it to even casually and it changes the look of our intent to pay what was required. The guy did take the money and seemed happy to get it.

Leroy and I were both tired by the time we got home. We had slogged our way through some deep snow, dodged cars and snow plows, and shielded our faces from the wind in that walk that was perhaps almost five miles. The pedometer had over 10000 steps on it, but I had walked some before that trek started.

FYI Crock pots only work if you turn them on. At noon the crock pot was still cold even though the beans had been in it all morning. Hopefully the high temperature will cook the beans well enough to make great bean soup for supper. Corn bread will accompany this cold weather treat. We are colder than cities to the north of us. It was below zero this morning.

Paula

No comments: