Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cold Fruit

Hello,

“Look what I found on the step,” Leroy said as he came in the house carrying a box.

“The fruit is here already?” I asked and continued, “I did not hear the bell or a knock.”

A couple of our children have given us the gift of monthly fruit –monthly organic fruit. The other two months it came at the middle of the month and it was brought in the house right away.

These apples were some of the coldest that I have ever felt. Who knows how long they sat in that 20 degree temperature. This morning we learned for sure that they are still good.

We do not have as much snow and closures as DC, but the weather still gets a bit of notice and comment. I am starting to feel like it could stop with the snowing and I would not complain. And I like snow. For some reason this year we have not gotten out our skis. Maybe it was too cold on the days that I felt like going out. I personally wish they were snowshoes instead. It is so difficult to go across the street on the skis because of the sand, gravel, and salt on the road bed.

The amaryllis (How does one make that word plural?) is starting to open. The one downstairs is white with pink running through it. The upstairs one looks to be red and the others downstairs are still mysteries to be revealed in time. The geraniums have gigantic leaves, but no flowers. The wandering Jew just keeps putting out blooms that only last a day. They are tiny exquisite touches of lavender. Joy and delight abounds!

Paula

Ps the beans were cooked by supper time so the soup was good.

No comments: