Saturday, February 13, 2010

Backyard skiing and Car Troubles

Hello,

Yesterday we finally got out the cross country skis and went round and round in the backyard. That included some of the neighbor’s yard too so the corners were not too sharp. It was so nice out today that I did not wear a hat, unzipped my coat, and took off my gloves. “We need some hills,” Leroy said after a while. I agree that little bitty hills would have been nice.

We got some exercise as well as getting some more of our money’s worth out of these expensive leisure items. At $10 a day for rental we are approaching the purchase price. I wish they were snowshoes instead. After snowshoeing in the Utah mountains I am hooked on them plus we would be able to go more places around town without worrying about walking across streets. Besides would have been a lot cheaper.

Again today our car would not start. Because it was thirty degrees we can not blame it on cold weather. Just after Leroy had called someone to “jump” it, he tried it one more time and it started just like that. Leroy suspects it is some electrical connection that is shorting out. Unfortunately unless it is malfunctioning they probably will not be able to find the problem. It is unnerving not to know when or why it will happen.

Tuesday morning early we leave for the Des Moines airport. I did call for a back up as I am just afraid that we will go out and the car will not start. Then what? I like living without depending on a car. Admittedly public transportation is not always there. So it is not perfect, but generally it is not a problem or there are alternate resources to fill in.

Paula

No comments: