Thursday, February 18, 2010

Eyes Open

Hello,

Andy picked me up at the airport, brought me to the house, and went back to work. The woman who had been staying with the kids soon left. I sat and mostly got reacquainted with the layout of the house. When I heard the first awake noises from the bedroom, I waited to make sure they were the real thing. I slowly opened the girl’s bedroom door, stopped just seeing two pairs of eyes looking at me. Three sets of eyes checking out the scene, a smile from the little one, and all eyes were smiling. How nice we got on right away. Hoorah for webcams that keep my image alive and current!

Andy said he would prepare supper, so I did not worry about it. Let someone else deal with that conundrum.

In the last afternoon we walked/stroller rode to a park in the neighborhood. It is really a school playground, but after school it morphs into a park with a nice set of playground equipment.

Out of a car came a young man with five elementary age boys. They all sported camouflage caps or hats. The man started demonstrating some moves on the equipment that includes a short climbing wall, swinging bridge, and other things I recognize but cannot name. He told the boys to pay attention because they were going to go through the maneuvers soon.

The demonstration complete, he pulled out a stop watch, named two of the boys, and told them to start. From time to time he encouraged them to go faster and he swung some of the pieces around making it more difficult to accomplish the goal. He answered his phone talking loudly enough that it was clear when he said, “I am in the park with boys, giving them some military training.”

Mildly shocked might describe my feelings. I cannot imagine a reason to start “military training” at age 6-9. Exercising is great, but I see a different purpose in that. I also believe that exercise is lifelong if it is not competitive and not for some compartmentalized purpose.

Paula

No comments: