Thursday, January 21, 2010

No School Again

Hello,

There were no cars in the parking lot by the suggested late start time so that meant school was cancelled yet again. There will be a lot to make up before the end of the year.

Finally this afternoon the driveway was clear of most ice so it seemed quite safe to walk to a store. There was a sense of freedom as I stepped a long briskly. Some places caution was required, but especially in the street it was fine. This particular store is only about .5 miles away, but it was fine to go that short distance. I did not buy anything, but just shopping is a skill that some have and I may acquire. Generally I do not shop unless I have a “need”, but today it was just an excuse to get out of the house. The day was especially long because Leroy was out for lunch.

Still I managed to find some tasks to do. I made more pumpkin bread, and sewed up a pillow so Leroy can have a knee pillow. It is just a soft old thin pillow that I folded over lengthwise and sewed together. Then an old pillowcase was sacrificed by making it smaller so the pillow would not come out. It is a little tricky to get the pillow sown as it does not want to stay in this position, but I waited and had Leroy hold the pillow while I guided it through.

When I was done I thought I might see about sewing our names on some napkins as my mother had done. For unknown reasons the sewing machine would now only sew a straight stitch even though it had been zigzagging quite nicely. My sewing machine was a wedding present from my parents. Leroy and I were married in June 1971 so I suppose the machine might be tired, or maybe it just needs cleaning or maybe just oiling. It is made of medal and quite heavy so I would like a new one even if this one could be repaired easily. I will have to look into the possibilities. For a mostly now sewing person not much is required, but I think small new ones have more abilities than mine does.

I am now on page 767 of my book, World without End, so I will likely finish it before the due date.

Paula

No comments: