Saturday, July 3, 2021

Wild animals

Hello,

 

This morning I looked out and saw an animal lumbering around between garages. I told Leroy, “It might be a groundhog or a raccoon, but I think it is the raccoon.”

 

He looked, without glasses on and had to go fetch to verify that it was indeed a raccoon. I do not mind wild animals, but would prefer that they did not live so close to me and any garden they might decide to get into. We do not plant sweet corn because we figure it would be like an invitation.

 

At least our compost and garbage are well secured so they cannot get into either. We often see rabbits both by the house and on our walks. We also, on our walks, spot a groundhog from time to time. There is an area where we have seen red foxes, but not this year. One day when we were picking black raspberries a woman who was driving by stopped and asked us if we had seen the fox. Apparently she has seen it just about where we were.

 

Squirrels are such a common sight that we hardly note when they are around.

 

We have seen a deer on one of the college campuses that is close to us, but seldom do we see them in the city. Others complain about deer as they eat ornamentals in their yards.

 

There are a certain number of cats. I suspect some of them are feral. So I suppose that makes them wild too.

 

Paula

No comments: