Sunday, July 11, 2021

Book Club “in Person”


July 11, 2021

 

Hello,

 

Today our church book club met in person for the first time for over a year and a half. Good things happen. Two of us were still wearing masks, but all had been vaccinated. I was glad not to have to set up the online meeting, not that it was hard, but sometimes something would get out of order in the email list of recipients. It is so good to see people. We spent some time at the beginning just catching up. That always happens, but this was a little more than usual. I think people speak up more quickly when we are in person discussing the book. It seemed seamless in person and a little stilted on line. On line was not perfect, but a good solution for those conditions.

 

The book club at the library will also meet in person. It has been about the same amount of time since that has happened. One thing about meeting online two other people had joined us and I am not sure they will be able to or want to drive to the meeting.

 

I so liked the book I read for the library club. It was by Elizabeth Cobbs, The Hamilton Affair. I certainly learned a lot. I had known just a little about Alexander Hamilton, mostly that he fought a duel. I have a better feel for the times as well as the person by the end of the book. I always did ok as a student in history class, but I really enjoy historical fiction, perhaps because it makes it more real for me.

 

Paula

No comments: