Saturday, July 31, 2021

Cucumbers Distributed

Hello,

 

Leroy came home from working in the garden one evening. He told me that the cucumber vines had a lot of fruit, but they looked to be dying, I went the next morning and picked them all. It filled my backpack to much that it was a struggle to get it zipped shut and the weight was daunting, not impossible, but definitely noticeable. I walked a ways past a house only to hear some voice. There were two 20 something men on bikes. I went over to see if I could foist, oops I mean share or give some to them. One of them did take one cucumber. It was fairly large so that helped the weight department. They were talking to a woman who lived there so I asked her if she would like any. She took two, yes! “Do you know of anyone else who might like some?” I wondered.

 

“Yes, I will take two more for my brother.” she said as she thanked me.

 

Progress is being made. And my load is much lighter now, but still a bit of weight.

 

I asked another woman who was putting something in her car and she took about four. Her neighbor also took some. Some of these cucumbers did not look so good, but the next neighbor took all of the rest. What a delight it is to share the blessings of the earth.

 

I preached the gospel of the community garden, hoping some of these people will go there on their own initiative and pick some of the produce. I do not like to pick green beans for others as picking beans requires so much work, but I might have to change my attitude.

 

Paula

No comments: