Saturday, September 5, 2020

More Stress

written about August 17th

 

Hello,

 

In the morning of the 17th, I said to Leroy, “You look so tired, why don’t you take a nap?”

 

Leroy replied in his whispery voice, “I think if I close my eyes I will not wake up again.”

 

With little success, I tried to convince him otherwise. So he stayed up and we got to see the new TV up and running, but not as completely as it could be because the internet was not available. The new appointment was set for August 29th. Maybe that would happen.

 

Leroy continued sank into more and more despondency. After we had eaten in the evening, Brian noticed that Leroy was not walking very well. Brian supported him and then Leroy became even more distant. Brain asked Sarah to help him get Leroy to the car and we would go back to the ER. Leroy could not seem to think to move his feet. Sarah moved his feet and Brian held him going down the stairs. On the sidewalk Leroy did move his feet, but there was a certain amount of pulling and tugging to get him to the car. Thank God! Brian and Sarah were here. I could not have managed this on my own.

 

At the ER, Leroy was barely talking, just moving his hand frantically if he wanted something. Brian stayed in the room with him while Sarah and I sat in the waiting room, then I went back to be with him. By this time he was barely talking at all, but agitatedly tapping his hand on his leg or stomach. Brian had said that all of his vitals were good. I could not interpret all of that, but I could see his blood pressure was a little higher than usual.

 

We could again use the internet at the hospital so we had good phone service. We let Miriam know that we were back in the hospital. She immediately started wondering if she should come. I suspect she felt a bit left out. It was hard to know what to tell her.

 

When I went back in with Leroy he kept waving his hand toward his groin. “Do you have to go potty?” I wondered. He shook his hand no, but kept pointing. I asked, “Did you wet yourself?” I asked.

 

He nodded. I buzzed the nurse and let them know. No one came. The doctor came in. He commented, “I do not know what to make of this because all of the vitals were good, but he is not responding. I want to have him stay overnight so we can observe him.”

 

I went back out to let Brian have a turn and we talked about what to do. There was some discussion among us, if perhaps Brian should stay so I could get some rest. Leroy had indicated that he was afraid and not to be left alone. He thought he was going to die. In the end I stayed because Leroy wanted me there. I did go home with Sarah to collect a light blanket, small pillow, and my knee pillow so I could sleep in a chair if needed.

 

In the meantime Miriam decided that she had to come.

 

To be continued.

 

Paula

No comments: