Sunday, September 27, 2020

Driving To Work

Hello,

 

Each day I have to remember to go to an alternate entrance ramp for getting on the interstate. Most days I remember before I turn the old way. I am happy that they do the road work because it means improved surfaces when they open once more. I am also lucky because I do not really go too far out of my usual pattern. It probably is about the same distance, but old habits are hard to break. When I come home I have to remember to get off at an earlier exit, but that is easier to remember because there are so many “road work ahead” signs that give me a tip.

 

On my last trip home I noticed that a car a ways ahead of me swerved to the side, but I could not see why. By the time I spotted a flat, black, three foot long thing in front, I had a car on the side and could not go into that lane. For some reason I did not think to go off on the shoulder even though it would have been possible. I seriously put on my brakes, but the car behind me was coming very fast so I released the brake and just hit the thing which banged up against the bottom of my car and flew up and off to the side. At that point the car behind me slammed on their brakes with a screech and careened to the outside almost hitting the thing. I was happy that my car could keep moving and it seemed there was no damage. When I stopped in the garage, I looked at the tire and under that car as if I knew what I was looking for. It all looked okay. I thanked the car for all of the service that it has given me. Cars really are quite tough things.

 

Leroy has been driving himself to work, but has not really driven any farther than that. I think he could, but he seems rather distracted at times so we are keeping on the local level. When we are together I drive.

 

Paula

No comments: