Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Going to the Dentist

record for August 18-19th # 13

Hello,

 

It was expected that the dentist appointment for the new crown would take close to an hour. Sarah was hungry so she drove me there and then went home for lunch. Great to have children here! I felt supported in a way that I have not in some time.

 

The dentist had hoped that I would have brought the temporary loose crown, however, it was safely sealed in a bag at home, since I was coming from the hospital I had not even thought about it. As it turned out, all was good. The job was completed more quickly than expected. It has been so great not to be concerned about chewing and hurting myself. When cool water would touch that spot it was a bit painful. The dentist had had a very negative experience with prednisone. He was telling me all about it when his hygienist must have given him a look because all of a sudden he said, “It is keeping Leroy from going blind. So that is good.”

 

I have learned that many people have had negative experiences with steroids. Certainly it is nothing to treat casually.

 

After this Miriam came. It was good to see her, but I felt a bit bad that she had made such an effort to come and her dad was now much better than he had been. Emotions are so tangling, aren’t they? I want him to be better and Miriam here.

 

Leroy went down for a biopsy on the blood vessels in his head, confirming the neurologist’s diagnosis. It is good to know what we are dealing with for sure. One of our children commented that it had been years since they were in a room together without spouses or children. We even took a selfie with the five of us.

 

Each day is a little forward and a little backward for Leroy. I am glad that someone told us that it would not be a straightforward journey. At least the headache has never been up to its previous high level. Leroy has a trouble with anxiety especially at the end of the days. He has a prescription to help with that if needed. We assume that the anxiety is from the steroid and not from the disease. Later this week he will again lower the dosage. He is so happy each time that happens.

 

Paula

No comments: