Wednesday, June 3, 2020

To Work, To Work

Hello,



Monday and Tuesday Leroy and I both went to work in our work places. Less of a change for Leroy than for me because he has been putting in the required number of hours from home. I forgot to ask him if he wears a mask most of the day. I wear one about three or four hours of the day. I go to work at one when other staff members are still there. In the evening from about 4:00 pm on, I am alone. The first night no one came to pick up library items, but last night I had a bit of traffic at the door. For that I put on my mask many of them did not have a mask on I was happy for at least one sided safety.



Because of not being so busy with patrons, I got quite a bit of other work done. Yesterday I printed the report of overdue items. I used to make calls once a week to urge people to return things in a timely manner. Since March this has not been done. If I had thought about it I could have done this from home. Usually the report is five to ten pages long. Last night it was 22 pages long. I only called about half of the people. The sad thing to know is that some of the people had been called several times before March. I think the 80 20 rule applies with 80% of the over dues amassed with just 20% of the patrons.



One of my coworkers came back to work a week ahead of me. She had been wearing a mask almost all of the time. On Monday she went home because of a headache. Yesterday she hardly wore her mask because her husband commented that almost every day since going in to work she has had a headache. She thinks it is because the mask makes it hard for her to breathe. I tried to stay a safe distance from her so she would feel safe.



We are doing a lot of wiping door handles, desk surfaces, keyboards, and phones. All returned items are wiped down and set aside for 24 hours. One person only does all the intake work. It is a new routine. I am not sure when we will open to the public.



Paula

No comments: