Friday, June 5, 2020

Credit Card Crazy

Hello,



Leroy ordered take out lunch for us for our anniversary. We had a gift card for most of the cost, but the rest he tried to use our credit card. The helper on the phone said, “It would not take your card number, but just bring it with you when you pick up the order and hopefully that will work.”



We arrived, waited for the server who took the card inside, came back and said, “It still will not work.”



Fortunately Leroy had enough cash to cover the cost and we went home to enjoy our anniversary lunch. Leroy’s phone rang shortly after we sat down. I could not hear him talk so I wondered, “What on earth?”



When he came back to the kitchen with the phone still glued to his ear, he said it was about credit card fraud.



My first thought was that it was a scam. I told him to hang up. He did not do so right away, but then as the robo type call went on, he hung up, but called the number back. He was not able to get in right away. I told him I would get the bank phone number where the card comes from.



He was a bit disgruntled, but he complied. Unfortunately the robot said they were very busy so it took a bit of time to get to a representative. Then we needed to talk to another person which also involved a bit of a wait. The rep. asked numerous security questions including what medical thing we had used the card for on a date in May. Both of us were at a loss about that until the amount triggered a memory for me of my dentist visit. That was right. Apparently that other call had come from the bank because they were checking up on the rejection of the card. The restaurant had tried four times and it would not work. I do not think the representative really knew why it did not work because he mumbled something about the systems not talking to each other. At least I was happy that it was not a scam or that our card had not been compromised. Happy 49th Wedding Anniversary after all.



Paula

No comments: