Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Handling Differences of opinion


Hello,



At the library I consider it important that people who have many different beliefs and philosophies feel comfortable there. The library should be open to all. So generally I do not express my opinion on any subject that seems controversial. It is easier if I agree with the speaker to nod and concur without saying much of anything. Also, if my feelings are not strong about the subject, it all it makes little difference to me to listen to someone else express their ideas. However it becomes harder when I passionately hold a diametrically opposed point of view. I sometimes wonder, “Do they think I agree with them because I say nothing in particular? Does it matter what I think in this situation?”



Last night at work two different patrons at different times told me issues that I have rather strong opinions about. My stance is quite different from their opinion. I came away from the “talk” feeling quite conflicted perhaps because I said nothing about my point of view. Being silent does cost something emotionally.



Perhaps many of us have difficulty expressing different opinions while being concerned about the reception in the listener. My childhood home did not have many political discussions so I rarely heard people talking from different sides of an issue. Or perhaps they were all on the same side of almost every concern.



There was some talk about other religions, but I am ashamed to say that was more on the level of “us them” type of comments with “us” being seen as superior and correct to “them”.



It is indeed not a perfect world. Now if I can figure out how to have your opinion and my different opinion, help us remain on good terms, the world would be perfect.



Paula

No comments: