Monday, April 2, 2018

Easter Sunday Morning

Hello,



We set the alarm early so Leroy could get to church on time. He was assisting at the 8:00 service. He plans to get there an hour early to tend to any last minute details as well as gather his thoughts to the appropriate venue. I did not have to be there until 8:45 to participate in singing the Halleluiah Chorus at the end of the 8:00 service.



Since we were not leaving at the same time I just got breakfast ready and helped him in any way that he needed so he could leave the house at 6:30 for his cold, brisk, early morning walk. It was 17 degrees F. when we got up. All went smoothly and he left the house on time, he probably even got there ahead of time.



I then cleaned up the kitchen, selected and gathered my clothes, took a shower, figured out that I needed a backpack to carry my dress shoes, got out my walking shoes, got out my coat, hat, and scarf. As I usually do I combed out my hair putting it in place so it would look ok when dry.



Leroy and I had read the devotions, but now I reread them as I usually do with an additional time of meditating and writing in my journal.



I looked at the clock and saw that it was ten after. With thoughts of “Oh no how did it get so late?” I hurriedly put on my warm outer wear and sped out the door for the mile walk to church.



On the way I saw no other people walking and no cars until I came to the main drag where there were only three cars in sight. At the church there were almost no cars in the parking lot. Inside I could tell that no service was in progress. That mystified me as the first service should be almost finished. I was getting ready to take off my coat when another person came in the coat rack area. Finally I asked her, “What time is it?”



She looked at her watch and said, “It is 7:30.”



Oh no, I was at church an hour and fifteen minutes early. What now? I did not have anything to do during that time so I just turned around and walked back home. Arriving in enough time to make the bed and read for almost 25 minutes before I headed back out. That meant that I got in a three mile walk before the service.



The real downer is that my hair was still a little damp when I set out the first time. Because it was so cold I had to pull my hood close to be comfortable. When that happens with my hair, it flattens into some odd postures and will not rebound.



I wore a dress and I am grateful for the legwarmers that I bought a couple years ago. I was prepared to be outside for so long.



Consequently it was a bad hair day for me, but a wonderful Easter. As is often true, the service moved and touched my soul.



Paula

No comments: