Friday, November 17, 2017

The Key

Hello,



Yesterday I hurried out of the house and down the road to Ely because I was the person in charge of getting the meeting room open so we could have yoga. The key I have doesn’t open that room, but it does open the library through which I have access to the meeting room. I tossed my coat, purse, keys and other unnecessary items on the desk or on the floor, rummaged to find my “yoga” pillow, the forms if there were a new person, a pen, “my” IPad, and headed into the hall. Just as the hall door was closing behind me I realized that I did not have my keys with me. The library was locked to me and everyone else who was coming. Upon opening the external door to the meeting room, I greeted the three people who had already gathered and told them I could not get in the library. Somehow I felt all cut off from what I might need. Someone asked me, “Do you need anything from there for the class?”



At my no, they assured me life would be good and we could proceed as we normally do. I have to confess that concentration and focus were difficult for me to grasp. Says something about how yoga is ingrained in my psyche; not as much as I had hoped.



My two co workers who are usually there by this time had other obligations that day. I was to do story hour and someone else was coming to “man” the desk. At ten minutes before the hour they had not yet arrived. I started to feel panicky again. I could not see the schedule in the office to learn if they were coming at nine when the library was to open or closer to story time. My phone was also in the office so I could not call anyone. Someone volunteered to go to the home just a few doors down, of a faithful tai chi member. This person called my boss who said that the helper with a key was coming at nine. Indeed it was just a few minutes later that other co-worker came and opened the door.



I went into the lobby and told her about my dilemma as she unlocked the front door. I then went back to get my things and stood by that locked door in the hall, but it did not open. After a bit I knocked on it, nothing happened. Then I called her name and again nothing happened. At that point I walked back to the lobby door and entered the library through the unlocked front door. My co-worker was not in the library. “What happened to her?” I wondered as I looked for her.



In a few minutes she again entered the library. She had gone out to the external book drop and brought in the books from that source. I almost laughed as I saw her and my confusion evaporated.



What a morning!



Paula

No comments: