Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Miss Paula

Hello,



We wear name tags that produce our first names in large, readable letters. Often children, because we are all women, call of Miss and whatever our first names are. Hence I am Miss Paula to many children and adults. Probably many people have no idea of my last name.



Yesterday a man came in with his youngest who might be 2.5 years old. The father told me that they had gone to the public library while on vacation in Estes Park, CO. They had not been there very long when their youngest asked, “Where’s Miss Paula?”



I laughed with surprise as this kid, while in the library, hardly acknowledges my existence unlike his older brother who almost always greets me. In the meantime, he is standing over by the gum machine checking out the knob and the slot to see if there are any missed treasures.



His dad called to him, “Here is Miss Paula. Say hello,”



The boy turned around with obvious reluctance, looked at me, made a funny face, and turned back to his task. It seemed like normal behavior to me. I am still astonished that he even knew my name.



When they left, his dad said, “Wave good-by to Miss Paula.”



This kid raised his head from his father’s shoulder, grinned at me, and waved a great send off.



Life is full of mysteries, some with great gift wrapping.



Paula

No comments: