Wednesday, November 22, 2017

New Toilet

Hello,



We have a new toilet. Leroy and Clark, mostly Clark, were able to get it hooked up and functioning. It is great to have this water sparing, properly working tool in the house. The old one still worked, but it occasionally needed quite a lot of persuasion to get the entire job done. It reminds me once again how much we take for granted in our lives as I know many people in the world do not have such a possibility. It is just one more thing to be thankful for. Even the old one that was a bit cantankerous required my thankfulness, even though I did not give it, for the job that it did without out complaint for such a long time.



What would it be like to go through every room in the house and note all things that are an asset in my life? Leroy and I could do that tomorrow along with being grateful for the many wonderful people in our lives.



I am reminded of the time we were in Paris along with Miriam and Andy. It was cold and rainy. By the time we went up to the top of the Eiffel tower the rain turned to snow and we could mostly just see gray air outside the windows. Back on the ground it was rain once again. The guide book told about touring the Paris sewers, or storm sewers. So we did that. Leroy and I found it particularly interesting. I had read some things by Victor Hugo who wrote about the sewers. I learned on the tour that he had actually been down there. We took pictures with us by the balls down there, but they are not digital pictures and I would have a long time finding them. On the internet you can find pictures of the balls that were used to keep the sewer cleaned out. This invention allowed the city to stay clean and to enlarge its scope. Seems to me we should honor that inventor, but I do not know his name. Those same balls are still used today. What a simple thing, if you can think of it, to keep us healthy. If seems to me it was stated that if the sewer pipes were put end to end they would reach from Paris to Istanbul. Guess it says something about my nature that I was more impressed with the sewer museum than the Eiffel Tower. Practicality, practicality!



I am grateful that I can live in sanitary conditions.



Paula

No comments: