Monday, November 6, 2017

Power Cords

Hello,



For Tai Chi last week, the instructor wanted to use a DVD for a segment of the class. I had found the DVD player and remotes for the player and the TV; both had been put away in a “new place”. It seemed everything was ready. While Tom finished the set up, the rest of us moved on to our opening exercises. Tom hooked the player to the TV; however the TV would not turn on. He fiddled around a while before I came over to check on what was happening as it seemed to fit under my area of responsibility. I checked all cord connections, even though I knew he was a retired engineer of some type. He assured me that he had checked all the cords as well. He wondered if the TV remote was not working. Finally I found a switch on the large TV by sliding my fingers all along the bottoms and much of the sides. It still would not turn on. I went to fetch batteries and saw that my boss was there. When informed of the problem she came in and starting checking the cord connections. We are so used to people not having this or that plugged in that it is the first line of defense and is often successful, but not today.



A cord that was hanging out of the TV seemed not to go to a power source, but it was difficult to see as the TV had been attached securely to the wall and could not be moved out. Both my boss and Tom declared it the wrong type of power cord for the TV. My boss was a bit aggressive in trying to ease it out. She was lucky that it did not come off the wall. She soon went to track down the manual that came with this item. The pamphlet indicated that the plug in spot was on the other side of the TV. I got out a small flashlight to assist in looking in tight places. There is a long heavy, hardly movable book case below this TV so we had to reach hands down when we did find a cord that could be the necessary one. Finally with much huffing and puffing as well as grunting and groaning we got that cord up, plugged into the back of the TV, it was already plugged in the wall and just been dropped there. The TV lights flashed and Tai Chi viewing could go on.



Such a time with just the lack of a cord plugged in the proper place. Sometimes in life the small things become very important. Are we all plugged into the proper source?



Paula

No comments: