Saturday, November 18, 2017

Story Time

Hello,



Story time was my gig this week because the leader was out of town. I have certainly done this before, but it is a bit far back in the past. My co-worker had already shown me the craft and where things were stored to help manage that. She had also picked out five books. Three were for the younger sat. Most of these children were on the young side of the game. We have some colorful “donuts” that the children can sit upon. Apparently there are times that the lure of changing (some other color suddenly looks better), throwing or rolling is strong.



I decided to start off with a rule: if they were not sitting on the donut it would be taken away. That worked fairly well, but changing was embarked upon almost immediately. The second rule: only two different donuts per the story time.



I soon realized that I should get out of my chair and perhaps that would draw the attention of the children closer to me. That seemed to work fairly well. At least one and a half stories were finished. Then someone wanted to select another color donut. I pushed the donut cart into a small corner and sat in front of it declaring that everyone had to keep what they had selected. We then finished the last story and moved on to the craft table. Luckily all of the adults with the children were helpful, helpful, and helpful. The time flew by.



Some of the children got done and started to run in the larger meeting space. I decided to run with them. It was great; however they seemed to be happy running in circles in one direction. I told them I was getting dizzy and needed to change. After that our running was a little more random, but we all had a good time.



Story time is not for the faint of heart.



Paula

No comments: