Saturday, February 11, 2017

Walking and books

Hello,

Leroy and I took a long walk today. That warmer air is so inviting that we went farther than we had planned. I do not understand this Fitbit Zip thing. Usually I have to work to get it to record my steps even though I had thought it would be quite effortless. Tonight when I was using the computer I had not yet opened the FitBit app and it recorded my steps and sent me the notice. Even thought the fitbit does not care, Leroy and I walked some hills. Both of us had to breathe a little more strongly. It is good for us.

We just noticed that the neighborhood meetings are starting again. That means we need to start focusing on the community garden so we can let people know what is happening. Some days I feel lazy.

I perhaps told you that I got a grant from our insurance company to do an Action team project. I ordered the multicultural books tonight. I had planned to get some from a couple sources, but my mentor in this process recommended that I could get multiple copies because the neighborhood closest to us has a number of Little Free Libraries that can be stocked with some books. Good idea, plus I was able to order them at a school book sale. I had to create a fictitious student in the class. John Smith wanted a lot of books.  I did look in one of the free libraries and most of the books were old and quite dated. I know that many of the titles that I saw do not get checked out in the library where I work. The kid books were almost all about Caucasian kids. I am happy to provide books that show people of a variety of colors. Hopefully it will help these children to know that they are important enough to feel good about themselves and their possibilities.

Tonight I should sleep quite well as this has been hanging over my head, but I just could not seem to take the steps to get it all done. Now I just wait for the books to come. I and some others can take them around to the libraries and slip in some of the copies. Wonderful to give away someone else’s gift.


Paula

No comments: