Monday, February 20, 2017

Growing Celery and Accounts

Hello,

My celery is sending up leaves and a center stalk. It is amusing to see how quickly this starts to happen. I usually plant this outdoors, but I might decide to put it in a pot so I can move it in and out. I have had trouble with the rabbits finding it to be a delicious addition to their diet.

This morning I was able to add up some accounts and put them in the book that I have used for years to keep track of what we have spent. I do have a program that I use on the computer which adds it all up. What I find is that I do not pay so much attention to the totals since I am not doing that by hand. I was almost nine months behind on my old fashioned way, but now I have done enough so that there is only three months to go counting the one we are in.

While working in this book, I looked back at some of the figures from the 1980’s. We actually spent as much or sometimes more on food than we do now. What an eye opener. Especially when you consider that we make more money now than we did then. Leroy was the only one who earned any money. I say that because I worked and I think worked hard, but no one was paying me for that. I had the joy of being with and there for our children. We had all three children at home. Some years I did not gather much from the garden. We certainly lived a bit closer to the line. Interesting that I do not remember feeling vulnerable, but I do know that I never spent on anything that was not necessary unless it fit in the budget. We always had enough to eat and a place to live. Clothes were not of the latest fashion, but were available and clean most of the time. There was also money to be shared with the church and some other places besides and that made us rich.


Paula

No comments: