Wednesday, February 8, 2017

New experiences in San Antonio

Hello,

“Oh, what is that?” I wondered because I had never felt such a thing before. Pigeons were walking on my feet while we were eating at an outdoor table. I had on sandals so I felt every little nuance of their foot anatomy as they stepped lightly on their way to a possible crumb. I could feel the claws, or are they called talons? Then there was the softer middle part as they continued on. Somehow they did not weigh as much as I had thought they might. Guess all that feather fluff makes them look heavier. At first it was almost creepy as I thought about what else they might have stepped on or in. Everyone else had on regular shoes so they did not get to experience this treat. At least they were not walking on my food or flying onto the table. So it was all good as I settled back to just note what it all felt like and enjoy the light sensation of them passing by.

In a convention hall we went to a hall of statues of known Texans. There was someone there that I did not realize was a Texan, but right now I cannot think who that was. Seems to me it was an astronaut. There is always new learning to be had.

I had not realized how early some of the European settlers came to this area. Do you suppose the warm attracted them even then? There was a large German community as well as a number of Czech/Slovaks. In Fredericksburg the library and a museum both had some very old Bibles. Somehow I was not expecting that type of treasure.

We also saw some white tail deer. Leroy noted that they must have a huge area of the country in which they live. And then there were those Texas longhorns who managed to look quite threatening even when standing still. I never was very fond of cows and the horns just capped the feeling. I had not really noted the flash flooding in this area, but we drove on some back roads that had five to six foot marks to show possible water depth if it had been raining. That certainly is a new idea that it would occur so much or so seriously that a pole could be put up to warn people.


Paula

No comments: