Monday, February 27, 2017

In My Own Bed

Hello,

Leroy and I came home from MN yesterday afternoon. I had washed the sheets, but not made the bed before we left. It was quite pleasant to finish that task and slide into our own bed at night. We both slept well through the familiarity. There is just something about home that is so appealing to me. I understand the words home body. I am happy to visit, but happy to come home where I do not need to think so much about where I will sit or what I will do.

Our trip north was not as easy as the trip home. We started in rain with temperatures getting close to the freezing mark. It was nice to see the outside temperature above freezing as first as we were driving. About an hour from the start I noticed ice hanging on the signs and after a bit I could see it on the rear view mirrors. The road surface remained wet and sloppy even after the windshield wipers were starting to get coated with ice. Perhaps that salt stuff had been put on the road surface. About another hour later the temperatures dropped enough that it was snowing rather than raining. Leroy was driving by this time. It was almost a relief to see the snow. However as we continued north the snow increased or maybe it was just that the wind was strongly picking up snow that had already fallen. Sometimes it was a bit hard to see others. The road surface had a lot of packed down snow/ice on it so that it was quite lumpy to drive over it with perhaps a path where other tires had been.

About an hour south of the cities the snow disappeared. We were happy. On the GPS we had been watching our estimated time of arrival getting later as we were forced to drive slower, but once there was no snow it mostly remained steady. We called Brian to let him know when we were getting close. Nice how all the technology works for us; GPS, thermometers, and phones. How did we travel back in the old days?


Paula

No comments: