Sunday, December 18, 2016

Missing Hat

Hello,

Last night we planned to go to a party in spite of the cold and snow. It was only a bit over two miles away, but we understood there was a serious hill to climb. Before we left I gathered warm items including the bag that I keep in the car for going to work. This was not so far, but I was concerned about going off the road and into the ditch. I also had no idea how many people lived in this area. When it came time to put on my favorite hat, I could not find it. I dashed from closet to closet looking in obvious and not so obvious places such as the storage place for hats, coat pockets, sleeves of coats, and on the floor. Finally I just pulled out my not such a favorite hat and tried to stop thinking about how it was flattening my hair.

Navigating the hill was a bit slow, however it all went ok until Leroy went off on a side street one block too soon. We both realized it when we could see the street sign in the dark. At that point he could not get started up the hill again. Luckily he could angle around, back into the street and get a little more momentum allowing him to inch up the last bit of hill. Gratefully we turned onto the proper street before stopping right before their mailbox.

We had a nice time visiting with some of the people we know from church choir. I kept a little nervous flutter working each time I thought about going back down this steep hill with its curves. We arrived home in good shape. With more snow on the sidewalks, it seemed important to clear it off before anyone walked on it.

Back in the house I flung my hat on the floor only to see that it was now my favorite hat I was wearing. I was sure that I had worn the other when we left the house. How could this be? I looked around the house from my lesser favored hat, but did not find it.

This morning I asked our hostess if she had found a hat. She said, “I did, right by the door. I thought one of the neighbors who walked might have left it.”

I think now that my favorite had been in the sleeve of my coat all along, with my arm. When I pulled out my scarf both hats came out and one fell to the floor unnoticed by me. I am not losing my mind, just my things.


Paula

No comments: