Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Summer Busy

Hello,

Yesterday: up early to go to Tai Chi, home again, put bread in pans, mixed up granola, put it in the oven, stir every 15 minutes, when granola is done put bread in oven, wash apples, cut off many bruises, cut out worms, cut out unidentifiable objects, put in pans on stove with some water, boil apples, put apples in food mill, cool applesauce, put in refrigerator, get bread out of oven, let cool on table under towel, leave granola under towel on table, eat lunch, pack supper, wash dishes, change clothes, put on make-up, drive to work, and relax? After reading support, the library was quieter than it often is in the summer. So it almost felt relaxing.

Monday, as I pulled into the garage I heard a nose like the car dragged on the cement. When I investigated I saw that the tire on the back was flat. I told Leroy about that. He went out to put on the spare and he told me he would take that car to have the tire fixed. I went out in a bit to see how he was doing. He told me, “Not good. The side of the car is rusty. I got the old tire off and was just putting on the spare when I heard a crunching and the car went down on the spare and I can’t move it.”

He called his boss who has many car fixing possibilities. His boss came to help with his floor jack, but he had to drive to the garage that he rents some distance away. Once he got there it only took fifteen minutes. That is a good boss.

I am grateful that I was home when I noticed this. I am grateful that Leroy was not hurt. I am grateful that the tire is fixed.  I am grateful that we have enough money to buy a different car. Our problem is just looking for one and not knowing what is best. Son-in-law, Andy loves to car shop, but I am a little afraid that he will steer us to something that is more car than we need. Can you envision us zooming around in something sporty?

The applesauce tasted good and the apples cooked nicely so after work I picked up more apples. The bag I had was paper. I tried not to let it touch the ground, but it got much too heavy so I set it on the wet grass. When I tried to pick it up the bottom fell out along with most of the apples. In the trunk of the car I found two of my cloth bags. Filled the bags, put them in the car, and drove home muttering to myself about not using those bags in the first place. Today I canned applesauce. We now have eleven quarts for those winter months. I am so pleased. We like the homemade applesauce from organic apples and no sugar. If you figured out the cost of my labor it is quite expensive, that might even be the case using minimum wage, but it is satisfying.


Paula

No comments: