Sunday, August 9, 2015

Bike to Work

Hello,

Friday night I made a resolve to ride the bike to work on Saturday. I spoke it out loud so it would have more power. Perhaps that worked because I got up, checked the weather, scurried around preparing breakfast, getting dressed, packing my bike bag, fixing lunch, checking the cloud cover, putting in sunscreen, and reassuring myself that I could ride 12-13 miles without difficulty even though I had hardly ridden this summer. Leroy did say he would be down to ride home with me, or if it were raining he would bring me home in the car. I allowed myself an hour and a half for this ride, hoping I could do it in less time. It was less time, only an hour and seven minutes. However I should tell you that I met a guy on the trail. Some time later he passed me and then later again I met him. Was he riding at about triple my rate of speed?

I left the house at 7:30. That was quite pleasant as there were almost no cars on the street. In fact on one of the less traveled streets I stopped for three stop lights, but did not wait for them to turn green before proceeding. My excuse? I was not sure they would turn green. If they are triggered by a car I knew my bike and I could not make it turn unless I went up on the sidewalk and pushed the walk button. That is something I have done in the past, but in this traffic less landscape, I thought I could just go. Was I breaking the law? Leroy would say yes and he would have waited or gone up and pushed the button.

At work I decided to put my bike in the back room because of predicted rain and that room was not to be used. While there I proceeded to start to change my clothes. Just as I got my pants off I thought about the security camera, gathered up my things, and fled to the bathroom where there is no camera. That film is not likely to be looked at, but just in case I did not want the “world” to see me. Boy, one must keep one’s wits about one at all times. Is big brother watching?


Paula

No comments: