Sunday, August 16, 2015

Neighbors

Hello,

Every time I see the people and the car parked in front of the house I feel guilty, sad, and unresolved. No clear solution presents itself.  My landlord feels that they will have a difficult time finding a place to live because they have been evicted for relative problems in the past. No landlord will want to rent to them even though they are good renters or at least not much beyond the norm. However the relatives seem to come and create a different atmosphere. I told Leroy yesterday how tired I was and he commented, “It is emotionally exhausting, isn’t it?

That is certainly true and then I feel a bit bad about that because I have a nice home, plenty of space and even a garage. But there is that fear holding me back. I am not free because I am a renter to just invite anyone into my home to stay, but I am happy to hide behind that fact. So I am not better than if I could do it. I just read a book in which the author talked about fear being the biggest sin. Certainly has me thinking about that. I have also spent some time thinking about the Good Samaritan story. Am I crossing by on the other side of the road, even though they have asked nothing more of me than to store their things?

Now they have moved their car to be close to their daughter’s house, but still no apartment. I am ashamed to say I feel relief because I do not see them all the time. They have assured Leroy that they are trying very hard. Praying, praying for that good outcome. Wondering what happens to people if no one will rent to them.

I hope they feel safe there. Here there is their ex landlord and his almost violence along with their relatives.

Believe it or not I feel rather strongly that God wants us here, but I haven’t a clue what we are to be doing. Living and loving any way we can? I greet almost everyone I see and compliment them if they are doing something that helps me or the neighborhood. Generally brings a smile to their face. Doesn’t seem like much, but maybe more than I realize.


Paula

No comments: