Saturday, August 29, 2015

Planned Recreation

Hello,

Leroy and I never seem to plan any time off activities. Well this month we/Leroy did much better. At the beginning of the month Leroy started asking me what we should do for this day. After discussion and flinging around possibilities, we settled on going to a State Park. At one point we had talked about visiting all of the state parks, but really had not done that. Last night it rained. It seemed that trails would be quite wet and possibility muddy, so instead we decided to ride about 12-13 miles north on the bike trail. If we had the energy in the afternoon we could check out a park that is fairly close and new to us because then it would be much drier.

It was a little cool when we started and quite damp, but not too much. I had a lot of trouble keeping up with Leroy has he raced along. We were both pleased to see many runners out enjoying the trail. Finally as we waited for a stop light I told Leroy that my tires were low. He tried to put air in the front tire, but it collapsed. He then tried his tire pump with no better luck. A guy stopped to ask if we needed help, but he had no pump. He assured he would be more helpful if we were still there on his way back.

Leroy talked about walking to a store to get a new pump. I knew that we were on the street that has a bike store on it. We started walking in that direction. My memory thought it was close, but of course that was in a car. About a 1/4 mile later, I have to go to the bathroom. A vet’s office was there so I want in and gave them my sob story. As I was leaving I asked about the bike shop. It was past the next distant stop light. Groan. I told that to Leroy and he then remembered that I should have another inner tube in my bag. Sure enough it was there and he changed the tire. He then tried to pump it up. It got a bit of air, but not as much as it should. None the less we rode on.

At a place where people can park and get on the trail, Leroy spotted a large group unloading bikes. He went and asked, “Does anyone have a good bike pump?”

One man did have just such a floor pump with a gauge on it. My pressure for both the front and the back tires was at 25 when it should be up to 80. What a difference that made. My brakes did not squeal anymore and I did not bounce so much. This man also commented that I was probably working very hard. That must be why I had such trouble keeping up with Leroy.

The ride home was certainly a lot faster. I am grateful for the good people that are all over. Help is available.


Paula

No comments: