Saturday, October 25, 2014

Still writing about the trip home

Hello,

I must have been a little excited or nervous or forgetful when I got to the Salt Lake airport. I looked at the first departure board I found for Cedar Rapids. Instead of that city I found Cedar City as a destination. I just grumbled some about that and went on my way to the right terminal. When I looked again I still found only Cedar City. My stomach clenched a little as I scanned the list more carefully. All at once it came to my mind that I had to go to Minneapolis first. Sure enough there was my flight at the right time. Now I just had to find the gate.

At the MN airport I still had to make a big trip from one part to another, but I had enough time so it was not a problem. Not much extra time, but enough to use the restroom. I did not bother to look for the gate myself but asked the agent who also told me how to get there. It is so nice to be able to speak the language. It is trickier when in other places and needing directions.

It is so great to fly over many lakes in MN. I drive past some on the way to see Brian, but many more are missed because of trees and hills. Why does MN have all those lakes?

At the Cedar Rapids airport I trotted right out to the bus stop, but there was no bus there. I called Leroy and asked him what time the bus came. “Ten minutes after you expected arrival,” he said.

Now I did not know if that meant I had missed it or not. As we were discussing that possibility I saw a bus coming so I said good bye and hopped on.

There were only four people on this bus for the entire trip to the downtown stop. I was the only one who had gotten on at the airport. When downtown, I went in to look at the schedules as the bus that comes within half a block of my home was not there, but one that stops about four blocks away was there. I could not figure out the schedule as all stops are not listed, so I asked a guy who was also looking at it. He did not know anything either as it was his first time riding.

Outside the building I spotted a young guy who looked to be quite comfortably waiting by the bus that I thought I should take. He did not know for sure, but he thought that was the one I should get on. At that point I figured I would ask the driver before I got on. The driver came out and zipped on the bus before I could question him. Two women came up to the bus so I asked them about it. One of them told me that it was the right bus and in fact she was getting off at the same stop.

Interesting to me, but this bus was almost full. Well worth it to run. We stopped to pick up a person in a wheelchair. I had to move as I was in that spot. The driver came back folded up the seats, put down the ramp, had the passenger wheel onto the bus, get in position, and locked or strapped all of the wheels securely before we could move on. Then before I got off someone attached their bike to the front of the bus.

I am certainly glad to see so many people be able to use the bus. I did have to walk the four blocks home, but it was really not a big deal even if my suitcase was a little heavy, but then it has wheels. I am so grateful for the invention of wheels. They make my life easier.


Paula

No comments: