Saturday, October 18, 2014

Living in someone else’s house

Hello,

Having spent so much time in my children’s homes without them present, it would seem that I am good at it.  I am more comfortable than I have been in the past, but it is still a learning experience.

I mowed the front lawn yesterday. I think it has been at least four years since I have mown anywhere, let alone with a strange, strong mower. I wrestled a bit with that thing. Miriam did have me practice starting it and how to proceed through the grass, but we did not discuss turning corners. The most difficult part was the turning. In the end I think I needed to make some type of big circle to get it going in another direction. Instead I, at first, physically wrenched it around. It might weigh more than I do. This is not a riding mower which I would not have even approached.

I feel comfortable with the washer, dryer, and dishwasher.  The vacuum is also familiar. Olivia used it this morning and I was in a quandary about discussing places that she failed to cover. I mentioned some and ignored others.

Nora cleaned the bathrooms. Her speed and enthusiasm picked up when the neighbor girls came over and wanted to play. I said, “They have to finish their chores first.” Suddenly everything moved into high gear.

I did the dusting in the living room as well as the TV room. My speed and intensity stayed more static.

The girls polished my fingernails yesterday. I have two or three colors on each hand. Some are already starting to chip. Chipping is my one objection to fingernail polish. I think I have my hands in water too much. At least the polishing was easy as I just kept my hands still for a short time.


Paula

No comments: