Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Walking in the Cold

Hello,

Brian’s dog, Cloe is so excited to see us. One reason might be because I always take her on walks. So not long after we arrived, Leroy and I bundled up and took this eager animal for a walk through the park. It takes about 30 minutes. Their street was covered with packed down snow that almost forms ice. The plowed paths in the park were much the same condition. I felt fairly secure with my wonderful warm Sorrel boots that seldom slip. Leroy also had on Sorrels so he was in good shape as well. We had two layers on our legs and our face masks on. It was a nice walk in spite of the low temperature.

Logan was disappointed that he did not get to walk with us. Saturday morning the temperature was again below zero so Leroy and I walked without Logan. I told him if it warmed up in the day we would go then. In the afternoon the temperature was a slight bit above zero. We headed out for a shorter walk. Logan’s scarf kept slipping off his cheeks. As red circles started to form, the walk was cut short over the protests of Mr. Logan. Leroy had on his face mask and he tells me that he does not get such a good breath then. He tried to carry Logan back to speed up the return, but could not manage that the entire time because he was not getting enough oxygen. Sophia did not seem to be bothered by the cold.  Back in the house Logan’s cheeks turned a bright red and stayed that way until in the evening when aloe was applied. Guilt, guilt settled in.

Sunday morning Leroy, Cloe, and I headed out for our walk. As we were getting into the park, I declared, “I am getting cold; let’s just do a short loop. Or if you want you can go longer, but I must go back.”

The cold was seeping into my arms and legs. Long underwear was not enough protection. When we entered the safety of the house, Brian said, “Here is why you were cold. It is -15 degrees F. and feels like -32 degrees.”

It is a good thing we came back when we did. Fifteen minutes was plenty at those conditions. Later on the way to church the temperature was still at -12 degrees. Cold, cold! I am grateful for car heaters and furnaces in homes. All in working condition!


Paula

No comments: