Monday, March 17, 2014

Life Now

Hello,

It is amazing how a bit of pain focuses your thoughts and life.  I lost a chunk of a crown on Thursday.  Brian urged me to call the dentist even though they might be closed. They, unfortunately, were closed until Monday however a person had not yet left. I made the earliest possible appointment on that Monday. “In the meantime what should I do about the pain to my tongue as it is stabbed by the jagged edge?” I wondered.

The person answering the phone suggested that I get some orthodontic wax.  That helped, but I was unable to get it to stay on my tooth and eat. I ate a minimum of food, consuming just enough to stop hunger pangs.

Sleeping was a bit frightful as I was afraid the hunk of wax would come off and I might choke on it in my sleep. “What would it be like for my grandchildren to have their Granny die while they were sleeping on the floor beside the bed? I wondered. (Am I dramatic or what?)

That did not happen. I learned in the course of Friday and Saturday how to talk, eat and swallow with more comfort. However, I am still looking forward to seeing the dentist because I know that my life will be better following this visit. What a gift that we have such care available to us.

I was going to weigh myself yesterday morning, but forgot. I ate a bit more yesterday than I had for the past two and a half days. I weighed this morning and I had lost at least two pounds. Surprisingly enough I did not feel hungry much of that time in spite of the diminished eating. Perhaps the thought of pain while I consumed something put hunger on hold.


Paula

No comments: