Monday, March 10, 2014

A Car Door Handle

Hello,

A few weeks ago the inside door handle on Leroy’s car broke. Can’t remember if I told you about this before or not, if this is a repeat I apologize. Leroy had told me about this issue, but I did not realize what a bother it was until I rode with him. More than once he turned off the car only to realize that he could not get out the door. At that point he had to turn the car back on, put the window down, stick his arm out, open the door with the outside handle, pull his arm back in, raise the window, turn off the car, get out, lock the door, and go his way. Coming in from the outside was no problem as the outside handle worked.

Hurrah for the Internet. Leroy found instructions on taking the door handle off and putting on the new. It all looked very simple. He ordered a replacement. With the sub zero temps he put if off because he did not want to get into some type of unanticipated predicament that could not be solved easily. Besides he was concerned about his cold hands. He could be in our unheated garage; however the temps could also be well below freezing.

Yesterday in the late afternoon and the above freezing temps, I first learned that Leroy had worked on it and gotten the old handle off when he called up the stairs for me to give him the new one. In less than 15 minutes he was back in the house. He can now get out of his car without thought and planning. He was so happy. Now he is looking at replacing the radio in that car. He found one at Goodwill, did not buy it, but sent me there the next time I was out and about. He wonders if the radio I brought home was a different one because there were no cords with it. He still has hopes of being able to accomplish this task with his limited knowledge and the help of the Internet. If all else fails I figure we just made a $3 donation to Goodwill.


Paula

No comments: