Thursday, October 31, 2013

That Detroit Airport

Hello,

While waiting for the next flight that was to leave in two hours, I did some serious walking, visited with Leroy while wondering how we could still talk after spending so much time together, and read my magazine. Leroy finished his book and started on the magazine that I had finished.

We approached the desk when a worker came to it. We showed her our paperwork to get on this flight. “This flight is full with only one empty seat. Would you like to volunteer to go on a later flight?” she wanted to know.

I then explained that the last person had told us we could not volunteer again today. “Oh, yes you can,” she emphatically stated, “You could get a $400 additional flight voucher.

We decided to discuss it and get back to her in a few minutes. I was planning on working and I could still do that. Since I am the only one working in the night I was not comfortable missing at the last minute. Leroy had taken the day off.

He went back up and told her he would volunteer to be bumped for the later flight. She said, “We will wait till the last minute as someone else might not show.”

I am still amazed at how many people fly through Detroit to get to Cedar Rapids.

Before the flight the agent came over and gave me a seat on the flight, stating that Leroy might still get on and we might even sit together. I got on the plane and she said, “Are you leaving him?” and laughed.

At the very last minute a guy got on and sat down beside me. I knew then that I would not see Leroy again until almost 9:00.


Paula

No comments: