Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Trip Home

Hello,

We got up at the early hour of 4:00 am EDT. We were at the Metro in plenty of time to catch the first train to the airport arriving with extra time. For reasons that I do not know about, my boarding pass, that we had printed at Sarah’s house, had printed on it that I was TSA Prechk. The first person I saw wanted me to go in a different line than Leroy. When he started to move with me, she asked, “Are you together?”

At our positive response she said, “You can stay in this line because you, pointing at Leroy, cannot go in the precheck line.” Addressing me she continued, “You do not have to take off your jacket or shoes.”

I had forgotten about taking off my shoes when in the CR airport. The attendant told me I must it would only be for someone 75 or older. Do you suppose the computer thinks I have aged almost ten years?

Anyway I liked not taking off my shoes even though I had already undone the double knots in the ties.

We were so early we could have almost gone on the earlier flight that was going to Detroit. Later we started wishing we had done that. Our flight boarded on time, but we sat on the runway as something had to be fixed with the water line. Our connection was only 30 minutes in Detroit and we used at least ten or fifteen minutes getting that water fixed. I kept telling myself that it was not something we could control and we would figure it out. Also surely there was more than one flight per day to Cedar Rapids. The flight was uneventful, but we were sitting in the 20th row. They did announce that people who had more time should stay in their seats and let others with close connection times depart first. That worked for the people closest to us, but those far forward people just went about getting their bags and moving off at their own speed. All of this time I am thinking about how to find the tram, running at top speed while hanging on to two bags. My adrenaline was working just fine as I could feel my heart speed up.


Paula

No comments: