Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A day off

Hello,

I am not moving so fast on this unexpected day off. It should not be unexpected because I know I am working Saturday. When that happens I do not work on Tuesday, but somehow it slipped my mind until my co-worker commented that she would not see me. Grateful for the heads up otherwise I would probably be at work and then just coming home.

In spite of taking it easy I went to the garden this morning. Not to pull weeds or any of that type of work, but to harvest things. Leroy and one other person were at the garden last night for just that harvesting, but I wondered if some things had been missed. Indeed, I picked several tomatoes including some very large ones, hidden in the mass of leaves and vines. I even found two nice cucumbers along with one chili pepper. I cut off a few leaves of the strangest chard I have ever seen, one kale leaf, and two broccoli leaves. The broccoli leaves are an experiment to see if they are good. They look so much like kale why wouldn’t they be good tasting and good for you? I shook some of the soybeans and they rattled in the pod so I picked a small number. I figure Friday is going to be soybean harvesting day. We are blessed indeed by this garden. Leroy even picked four more green beans last night. Oh than there is the exquisite small pumpkin that I brought home because the vine had died. I could not leave it to perish with the others I saw being attacked by various insects.

Now what to do with all these tomatoes? I am out of quart canning jars. I do have some gifts of pint jars that I might use if I can find a good salsa recipe. Then there are the random “blue” jars that I have been avoiding because I wonder if they are too old to use. I will figure out something. I have been creating many dishes with tomatoes and that can continue. Leroy and I eat like kings.


Paula 

No comments: