Saturday, June 15, 2013

Geese in the fast lane

Hello,

On our way to see the chickens I noticed, from a distance, two police cars head up the interstate ramp. As I reached the half way point on the ramp I saw one of those cars pulled to the side with its warning lights on. “Oh no,” I thought, “there must have been an accident and we will not get to the chickens on time.”

As I carefully pulled onto the interstate the other car was parked farther down along the side with its lights on, but I could see no accident. There were two women along the side waving their arms at something on the ground. A flock of geese that might have numbered about 20 was waddling along in front of them. Some geese were adults, but some were adolescent, and some were toddlers probably unable to fly. The cars of these women were quite a distance farther down the road so perhaps they had been herding them for a time.

It was fun to see geese in such an unusual edge of danger type of place. Logan was especially pleased that, “They were on my side of the car.” Consequently he got a good look at them. Sophia could also see them quite well because she is taller and the road tilted in the right direction at that point.

Adventure stared right away and we hadn’t even gotten to the egg gathering.

I appreciated those geese herding women keeping the geese gathered at the side and out of the traffic lane. Hitting one of them would not have been a happy experience.

Paula

No comments: