Sunday, June 30, 2013

Biking

Hello,

Following lunch, we headed off to Ely on the bikes after gathering and slathering sunscreen, finding and donning bike shorts and shirts, cutting apple and packing granola bars, filling and attaching water bottles, and waving good to our landlady who was deep in garage cleaning mode. Three miles slipped by before I wondered what this 65 year old was doing going on a 26 mile bike ride after having been on the bike only one other serious time this season.

With just four miles left out of the 12.5 required to get to Ely, I called a short halt to catch my breath and my resolve so I could make it the rest of the way. When there we planned to work in the garden and pick some more mulberries. I rationalized that as also a serious rest time.

In the garden the bugs were annoying, but not as much as some times. On the trail there were a couple places where smiling was not advised and breathing was risky. It seemed we might have weighed about a pound more with the weight of the gnats clinging to us. We did not pull many weeds as neither of us had thought to bring gloves. The mulberries had a strong voice calling to be picked so we filled the four small containers that fit easily in the bike bag sharing one with our garden land owner. After a short visit we headed back up the road only to realize that the head wind was seriously going to make a difference, but also knowing that this was the only sensible way to get home. After all a taxi would not take our bikes too, besides we do not spend our money on such things even when it is pouring down rain.

Three miles out of Ely a couple slightly younger than we are started to pass us, but instead slowed to talk. After a bit I think we speeded up to match them. Leroy rode with the man and I was parallel with the woman. The miles flew by. Had they not been such good companions I would have gone slower, complained about my sore bike posterior, stopped to rest at least once, and generally had a more negative attitude.

I still even feel quite good. My bottom does not hurt and my legs are only a little tired. It is all in the mind.


Paula

No comments: