Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Electric Mysteries

Hello,

Last night when I came home Leroy had this tale to tell. “The microwave stopped working, but I solved it,” he stated right away.

Now this is not surprising because it stops working from time to time in this place. The usual solution is to go down two flights to the basement where one fools around in the confusing fuse array, finds the fuse, and changes the position. The microwave will now work. Last night after Leroy had done the basement routine the machine did not work. He thought it was gone for good as it was purchased in 1997.

He checked and other outlets as well as that one were working as powerfully as usual even though the fuse controls their energy as well. “Oh Leroy,” I moaned, “I am not lusting after a new microwave. It never crosses my mind.”

“Not to worry,” he assured me, “I finally figured out that it was the power strip that had stopped working. I had a spare and plugged that in to have the machine running just as it did when new.”

It seems to me that we should be grateful for all of our electrical power that gets through many connections to make it to just the point where it runs something that helps us in our day to day world. Isn’t it remarkable? It involves many people and inventions to make this simple seeming thing happen. I am happy to have a microwave that works for a while longer.


Paula

No comments: