Monday, March 21, 2011

Fastnachts Are Done

Hello,

Fastnachts are over. Competent help was plentiful, conversation good, and the weather beautiful.

I had told someone that I wanted to make an announcement in church. After being told what I planned to announce, she wondered, “How will Leroy respond to that?”

“I don’t think he will care,” I replied. I decided to do it without telling him the contents ahead of time. I had told him about it before our first scheduled open house, but forgot to remind him until in church yesterday.

Besides welcoming people, the three main points I had to make were: Leave your white gloves at home, ooh and aah over any grandchildren pictures, and look in any closet, but not in my underwear drawer.

People laughed at all of my points even giving me a round of applause when I was finished. Later I had many people talk about my underwear drawer which seemed to be the hit of the list.

In the afternoon someone even told me, “I was oohing and aahing, but where was Grandma? You were in another room.”

One more told me, “I looked for my white gloves, but could not find them. Oh, that is right I was to leave them home anyway.”

Several people told me how much they enjoyed it and how comfortable they now felt to be coming into our house. It somehow made it all ok on a deeper level than I expected.

Leroy said, “I was surprised when you indicated you wanted to say something, but I laughed along with everyone else.” As I suspected it did not bother him in the least.

Paula

No comments: