Saturday, May 22, 2021

Tree Roots and wild flowers

Hello,

 

In the morning, Leroy was outside, called me to come out to see them take up the roots of a large tree on our block. I would guess the exposed roots were much taller than I am. They brought in some large equipment, broke it up some, and used a crane/claw to pick it up, shake off the soil, and put it in a pile. The guy running the crane certainly knew what he was doing, but then he has no doubt had lots of experience since we hve had all these tree issues since last August. Just after the derecho on August 10, 2020 this tree fully blocked the street. In a day or two they cleared enough so we could get through in one lane, sometimes by driving over smaller branches still on the street. I certainly traveled through there many times, as Leroy was sick enough that he was not driving at that time. Perhaps that was where I tore that wire under the car. I cannot remember when they cleared enough of the tree that we could travel in two lanes. The memory is leaving.

 



This afternoon Leroy and I took a bike ride on the bike trail. It was muggy, but beautiful. After a certain point there were wild phlox on both sides of the trail for a mile or two. We did not stop to take pictures, but it could not have captured the magnitude of the glory. They are white and purple. I do not remember seeing so many in the past. It reminded me of a hike that we took in the mountains in Slovakia where our guide knew the location of huge expanses of wild flowers. It is beauty that feeds the soul. What a gift we have been given!

 

Paula

No comments: