Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Tomatoes

Hello,

 

As part of the food pantry in the library lobby, there is a group that is working for zero waste for food. Depending on the week there can be a lot of produce or not so much. This week there were two bins of tomatoes. I brought some home on Monday, cut them and froze them for later use. Yesterday I looked at the remaining and noticed that someone had put a very advanced tomato on the shelf. I found a plastic bag and scooped it in for the compost bin at home. After much thought and consideration at the end of the work time, I gathered up a rather large box to bring home. Many of them had spots. Leroy helped me wash them, but at nine at night I did not want to face cutting them up. I put them in the refrigerator. This afternoon I worked on them. Some had grown mold even in the cold. A fairly large bowl of pieces was relegated to the compost. The rest went into the freezer. I had vowed to just get organic foods, but I have such a time with waste that I just hoped these might be organic. They do have a very nice flavor for a preseason tomato.

 

I have also brought home a number of peppers which found some room in the freezer. Again I am not sure that they were organic. I just wish more people were willing to work with fresh foods and were comfortable cutting off the unusable parts. I often give sales talk when trying to convince people to take something that is out there getting older by the day.

 

The meat in the fridge or freezer seems to be retrieved as do canned items or other non perishable.

 

I ended up doing laundry because the sun was shining and because the plastic bag that had the tomato in it leaked soaking into all my library masks. I work tomorrow; hence I need a clean mask.

 

Paula

No comments: