Monday, May 17, 2021

Who Wants kale?

Hello,

 

The red Russian Kale is just doing so well in the old community garden. I like to cook it, however when I mention kale to people and try to interest them in some, they are less than enthusiastic. Most people seem to eat kale raw and this kale is a little stronger in flavor. However, when it is cooked it is just as mild as can be. I sauté onions, garlic, mushrooms, and green peppers. When that has warmed and browned a bit I add the kale, and diced or crushed tomatoes. We also often put in some more herbs, depending on what we feel in the mood for. Leroy also seems to like this dish, at least he does not complain. Now if I could just convince others to eat this. Any way at this time I am picking as much as I like since no one else is taking it. At least the college is letting us harvest from the old garden space. They could mow it off, but have not yet. Sometimes I think of myself as trying to sell kale with no buyers. I know they were at least willing to wait until we could move the rhubarb after harvest. We also have cilantro, winter onions, oregano, and arugula left or it just returned to that space.

 

The irises by our house have six flowers open. They are a beautiful deep purple. I got these from my sister’s house. It is nice to have a memory of her.

 

We are going to move the mint to another location. We even have some mystery mint that has come up in a new location. So now we will put it in a place where it cannot spread because it is confined by cement sidewalk.

 

Paula

No comments: