Friday, May 21, 2021

No New Shoes Today

Hello,

 

I decided to shop for new tennis shoes or athletic shoes or whatever you chose to call that style. My current pair is definitely showing some wear. This afternoon Leroy and I headed out for some other shopping since the zipper is failing on his rain jacket. He did not get a new jacket and I did not get shoes. He was not sure he wanted to pay the price and I was not sure I could handle the shoe size.

 

We went to the best shoe store in town. The person who waited on me did not make many suggestions and they did not have the brand that I have liked. I tried on one pair in size eleven since that is what I am wearing now. My toes were touching the end. She then got a size twelve, but had only one selection in this style and brand. I was horrified that my foot is that large. It sort of took me back to a point in my life when I needed new shoes. In those days girls wore shoes that were quite different from adult shoes. The shoe store only had two styles for me to choose from. I did not like either one. The salesman went over to another salesman and said rather disgustedly, “I can’t do a thing with her, see if you can.”

 

I was so humiliated. Eventually I picked one of the styles and lived with it. Shoe shopping is not a favored activity for me. I should only go when I am strong emotionally.

 

I did not buy shoes today, but someday soon I will have to do that. We did stop at another shoe store, but they hardly had any size elevens, although I did not look at many.

 

On the way home we looked for frozen organic blue berries. The store was out as had been the store we visited in the morning. Instead, I got some fresh organic strawberries. Even though several of them looked not ripe they had a very nice flavor. I guess that was my treat for the day.

 

I know there are worse things in life than having big feet, but some days it matters to me.

 

Paula

No comments: