Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Heat Wave?

Hello,

 

The temperature was up to 20 degrees this afternoon. Surely that is like a heat wave after so much time hovering above or well below zero. I went out to chop ice from the sidewalk. Even in the sun it was not enough of a heat wave for me to get that ice up in very many places. I did feel fine so I took a walk, but with the wind in my face for a while it did not feel like a heat wave to me either. I was happy to turn and have the wind at my back. I realized after a block that I did not have my phone with me. Rather than turn back, I just was much more careful with the thought of falling in my mind. It was just two blocks one way and one block the other so I guess you could say it was a rectangle. It did feel so good to be out. I like the outdoors at almost any time of year.

 

Leroy just called and told me he is on the way home and plans to try chopping some ice. I will help him as much as I can. He might have better luck because he is stronger or because the sun has had another hour to work on the release of ice.

 

The birds in the tree are so interesting to me. Sparrows are moving up in my appreciated bird list. When growing up, sparrows were seen as more of a pest than not. One of the issues was that they built nests in the gutters blocking it from letting rain run into the cistern which was our source of soft water for washing dishes, clothes, and bodies. Our house was tall so it took a seriously long ladder to make it to the gutter to get them out. I was always a little dismayed at the babies that might be in there and that they would die when thrown on the ground. My father did not mess around with sentimentality when he was up there. His focus was the goal of a clean gutter with as little effort as possible.

 

Paula

No comments: