Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Chopping Ice

Hello,

 

I had planned to take a walk, but ice called with a stronger voice.  Yesterday, Leroy had done quite a lot of work on the alley close to the garage. I noticed a pool starting to form so I worked a bit on the drainage channel which allows it to flow to the drain about three houses down. It was so satisfying to see that pond disappear that I decided to learn what I could do about the much larger pool at the end of the alley. Three houses in the other direction.

 

With the ice chopper and shovel it seemed there were real possibilities. Before I worked on the area by the backup it seemed prudent to make sure the water could move on when it was released. That took a bit of time, but seemed well worth it to have a more freely flowing down stream.

 

When closer to the ice dam, I worked rather far out again, making sure that there was space for the water to move into. Not wishing to be injured I took it with less force that I would have liked. It is so satisfying to see more water rushing out of that area, but it is such a big back up that after an hour and a half, quitting was the most attractive option. No hurting places, but I was quite tired.

 

When I showed my work to my downstairs friend, he commented, “That should be good and it should just keep getting out of the area for a few days.”



 

It is so amazing to have days warm enough to melt some of the snow and ice. I just hope it goes slow enough that there is no flooding.

 

Paula

No comments: