Saturday, February 20, 2021

Getting the Vaccine

Hello,

 

Leaving work an hour early got me home in good time to eat a bit before we headed off across town. Even though I had been concerned about getting Leroy to his appointment and then getting to mine on time it went smoothly. He was in agreement that he could be there half an hour early. His place was easier, I thought, to access.  Making the left turn into the pharmacy had been bothering me, but there was a nice long left turn lane so waiting until the light turned so was easy. With more than fifteen minutes to spare I went into the building. Check in was just inside the door. “My appointment is at six,” I said.

 

“Paula?” she asked.

 

“Yes,” I replied. This was just so smooth until she gave me the card. My last name is not Smith (Name changed to protect the innocent.)

 

“Well that is the only Paula on my list,” she stated as she looked a little further. “I cannot do anything about this, but here is a card. You will have to ask at the desk.”

 

Keep calm! If no vaccine today another will do! Self talk does calm me.

 

At the desk that person also did not have my proper last name on her list. There was not a single letter in common in these two last names so I figured it could not have been a typo.

 

The pharmacist was called out. She also did not have me on her list. There was some discussion that I might be in the wrong place, but on my phone the text had this address. She asked a few questions, did I just call in, etc. There was also discussion between the women about the number of shots still available. They had called someone because they thought they had an extra. Finally, Miriam, surely someone named Miriam would be a big help, went to the back and looked at another place. Miriam found my name, came out syringe equipped, asked appropriate questions, cleaned the spot, and gave the vaccine. All this was done ahead of schedule. In the end it all seemed very easy. After the fifteen minute observation wait, I headed out to pick up Leroy.

 

This tale is not over yet. Stay tuned for part II.

 

Paula

No comments: