Friday, January 10, 2020

Mysteries

Hello,



A recent morning I woke and saw a light on in the office which is next to our bedroom. I thought maybe Leroy could not sleep and had gotten up to just read, however when I felt in his direction I soon touched his warm body.



Why would the light be on? Lying quietly brought no noise to my ears except Leroy’s gentle breathing. I checked the time, noting that it was almost time to get up. Exploring the lighted room I could discover no reason why the lamp had turned on. It is a light that turns on with the lightest of touches. Leroy did have his watch charging in the USB port on that lamp. I thought maybe a paper had fallen, but nothing seemed to make sense.



I was not as nervous as I was when this happened to us when we lived in Missouri Valley, IA. That time I was pregnant with child number three, when I woke to go to the bathroom. I noticed the light downstairs, called to Leroy to tell him he forgot to turn off a light.



He dutifully got up and when down. He stayed down there quite a while. When I asked him about it he said, “That was the last light I turned off before I came up. I am checking around.”



While he was checking the lower levels in this split level home I checked the kids bedrooms, even in the closets. Just what I would have done had I found an intruder, I have no idea.



Leroy and I had been having a spat when we went to bed so we were sleeping as far away from each other as possible. When we got back in bed we were solidly together. Leroy said all the doors were locked and nothing was disturbed.



For some reason we had lights come on in the night at least three more occasions. Once it was the Christmas tree lights, once it was the kitchen and once in the living room.



We never did figure it out, but it was not so frightening on subsequent occurrences.



Paula

No comments: